Monday, June 4, 2012

Shut Your Eyes and See the Truth

In the past couple of years, I have discovered many things about myself, the way I think, the ways in which I enjoy life around me. I have stumbled upon what brings me happiness, the things that give me purpose and make me feel whole and alive. Bill Moyers says that we use stories as a way to try to connect with reality, to make it sane and definable. He says that we recite myth in a search for truth, but I'm not so sure that I agree. Some of us tell stories because it is a part of our truth, not a feeble attempt to find it. One of the things that I discovered is deeply calming and wholesome to me is storytelling. I find solace in the craft of speech, wielding my voice as an instrument of my own truth, crafting whole worlds for those who listen to experience and lose themselves in.

What I am trying to oppose is Bill Moyers' view that we strive for truth, we seek order, we want for significance and the reality of life and death. In my opinion, these are all things that are internal decisions to be made by any who choose to accept their own voices. Some opt for religion, and I can tell you that there are many who feel no doubt in their understanding of life and the divine through their chosen faith. However, while religion is a prime example of a feeling of understanding, it is far from an exclusive notion. In fact, I would say most rationalize the world on a personal level, rather than one fabricated and introduced. I personally believe that I understand death. I believe that I understand life, that I can see all the significance that I crave, and that the truth is vivid in my mind. Unfortunately, I could never explain this to you in any story that I could tell, nor could you explain to me your own truths. These are simply things that we each must hold for ourselves and enjoy, immersing ourselves in our own lives while kicking back and appreciating this ability in the company of others who are capable of the same.

As soon as we can do this, as soon as we can accept ourselves and the truths that within each of us lie, on that day, at that moment, conflict will die.


2 comments:

  1. I quite agree with your opinion presented here. I do not think that I saw the quotation of Bill Moyers as contradicting your view point when I first read the quotation, but after reading this my interpretation has change. I appreciate the way you express that stories can be "part of our truth." I do not agree entirely with you, I do believe stories sometimes help find the truth, but other times they *are* just part of it. Your assertion that you could not explain your truths to me through a story anymore than I could explain mine to you, makes sense to me, for I have definitely experienced the difficulty of trying to express my beliefs to others. You have given me a new interpretation of Moyers' view, and I appreciate the opportunity to reflect on my own view.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree with your idea that some personal beliefs are impossible to explain through stories. There are certain things we believe that no words could do justice. You say that most people rationalize the world on a personal level, and while I don't know which is the majority, I certainly do think a good number of people rationalize the world by following the beliefs of a chosen religion. I do, however, think that people come to realize truths through stories on occasion. Stories, when written and told correctly, can reflect aspects of people's live and help them come to realizations.

    ReplyDelete