Monday, June 4, 2012

Trial by Fire


Responding to Quotation B
 
            Although they are not as fantastical as those spoken of in legend, each and every one of us experiences the hero’s journey. One of the times in my life that I experienced a version of the hero’s journey was the first time that I auditioned for the New Hampshire All-State Music Festival.
            I was enticed by the prestige and honor of All-State, which, along with the encouraging words of mentors, led me to embark upon the “Adventure” of the audition into the realm of the unknown. However, I was unprepared for the challenges that I would face. I wasn’t ready for the extreme frustration that is associated with perfecting music sung in a foreign language. Many times I was tempted to give up completely to make the frustration stop, but I persevered. I
Unfortunately, all my preparation wasn’t enough to prepare me for my audition. Once at the location of the auditions, I became increasingly nervous and pessimistic. I stressed myself out to the point that when I reached the audition room, I was a complete mess. I botched the song in numerous locations, and the whole time felt terrible.           
When I returned home, I noticed a change within me. I realized that compared to the ordeal through which I had just passed, singing in everyday situations was no longer intimidating.  The experience gave me greater confidence, and was invaluable in forging me into the more confident person that I am today.

1 comment:

  1. I know what you mean by this. I too have had instances where I feel as though I am embarking on my own hero's journey, and each time I come out of it with more knowledge and wisdom. I think that because of this, humans decided to hyperbolize their every-day occurrences into stories, to be passed down from generation to generation. In this manner, our ancestors could feel connected with the characters of legends and myths.

    ReplyDelete